Author Topic: Linux is Doomed, Thanks to Microsoft  (Read 4752 times)

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
Linux is Doomed, Thanks to Microsoft
« on: 28 November 2005, 00:14 »
I found this article. BTW whats with the Gardner group.

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2026

(Column) - The Linux community was left stunned when Windows Server software outsold Linux in the server market. Gartner, Inc. recently reported that sales of Windows systems accounted for nearly 37 percent of all server revenue in the last quarter while Linux accounted for 31.7 percent. Windows has a 5+ percent lead over Linux, which should be the cause for celebration at Microsoft.

Is this the downfall or, as they say, the beginning of the end of Linux? Most definitely not. Before the folks at Redmond rejoice too much, there are some things they need to consider.

First, the study says that Windows based Servers accounted for 37 percent in revenue. Now traditionally, Windows based systems are more expensive than Linux based systems, so even if vendors sold lesser number of Windows systems, the price difference could ensure that Windows sales revenue was higher. This implies that, in terms of pure numbers, Linux could very well have outsold Windows.

The research unfortunately only refers to the sales revenue rather than overall profits and market share. Like the Xbox, Microsoft could be under selling the product just to hold on to its market share, and with such deep pockets, I wouldn
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Linux is Doomed, Thanks to Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2005, 01:04 »
Idiots who pay attention to marketing bullshit deserve what they get.

Linux is never going away, because somebody is always going to find it kinda fun to develop kernels and software, whether you buy them or not.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2005, 01:23 »
I think M$ is playing tricks again ... like usual, I don't believe a thing they say ... Linux will never die ... NEVER !!!! We won't let it die ... I won't at least :D

dmcfarland

« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2005, 01:53 »
WTF is the Gartner group. Do they perform oral copulation on bill gates and steve ballmer?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2005, 01:53 »
First, the study says that Windows based Servers accounted for 37 percent in revenue. Now traditionally, Windows based systems are more expensive than Linux based systems, so even if vendors sold lesser number of Windows systems, the price difference could ensure that Windows sales revenue was higher. This implies that, in terms of pure numbers, Linux could very well have outsold Windows.

End of story.  Moving right along...
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2005, 03:04 »
I also find it interesting how Gartner so willingly writes off that "other 31.3%" of revenue.  So because they're running UNIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Be, et al - they don't count?  Excuse me, but WHAT. THE. FUCK?

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2005, 07:47 »
Quote from: Orethrius
I also find it interesting how Gartner so willingly writes off that "other 31.3%" of revenue.  So because they're running UNIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Be, et al - they don't count?  Excuse me, but WHAT. THE. FUCK?

But in the real world 30% is like ... nothing...

Maybe every one was waiting for the initial surges of security updates and service packs to calm down...

provided the method is secure enough
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2005, 16:20 »
Recent rumors claimed that Microsoft wanted to giveaway its OS for free by integrating advertisements in the OS itself. If that happens (provided the method is secure enough), I don’t know what the figures would be in terms of revenue, but Windows will most definitely "outsell" Linux in sheer numbers and that could perhaps be touted as the beginning of the end of Linux.

This raises an interesting question. What would happen if you'd block the advertisement in the OS's own hosts file?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2005, 21:40 »
Quote from: Refalm
This raises an interesting question. What would happen if you'd block the advertisement in the OS's own hosts file?
See Freedows.
See Freedows Run.
Run, Freedows, Run.

See User.
See User Hostfile Freedows Advertisers.
See PC Self-Destruct.

*snicker* FREEDOWS */snicker*

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Jack2000

« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2005, 21:43 »
oh please ppl
can you hear yourselfs ?
"becouse window$ costs much it will out *something* linux"
gues what i will not pay for M$ $hit
i will use "*FREE*" UNIX BASED SERVER !
i do not care about the prise and marketing stuff connected with M$'s WINDOW$

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2005, 23:23 »
any commercial anything can out sell any free anything. free software doesn't sell.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2005, 00:30 »
Quote from: Jack2000
oh please ppl
can you hear yourselfs ?
"becouse window$ costs much it will out *something* linux"
gues what i will not pay for M$ $hit
i will use "*FREE*" UNIX BASED SERVER !
i do not care about the prise and marketing stuff connected with M$'s WINDOW$

Don't forget that only home users and hackerly sysadmins use free Linux.  Most corporate server applications use Red Hat Enterprise, or SuSE or something like that, which does in fact cost a lot of money.

dmcfarland

« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2005, 04:26 »
True-but you get what you pay for with RH enterprise, and SuSe. You pay a lot of money for M$ and you get nothing but a fully loaded piece of shit.

Quote from: worker201
Don't forget that only home users and hackerly sysadmins use free Linux. Most corporate server applications use Red Hat Enterprise, or SuSE or something like that, which does in fact cost a lot of money.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2005, 14:10 »
Linux is not doomed you fucking moron. But it is nice to see it is leaving the public sector. I really hope for Linux to become as unpopular as possible for its development to still continue, I hate idiots ruining Linux with their user freindly bullshit.

Linux was cool about 5 years ago, its beginning to really piss me off that everyone knows what it is (or at least they think they do but they have no fucking idea).

HORRAH.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2005, 16:36 »
Quote from: Kintaro
Linux is not doomed you fucking moron. But it is nice to see it is leaving the public sector. I really hope for Linux to become as unpopular as possible for its development to still continue, I hate idiots ruining Linux with their user freindly bullshit.

Linux was cool about 5 years ago, its beginning to really piss me off that everyone knows what it is (or at least they think they do but they have no fucking idea).

HORRAH.

Oh well, at least you can still impress them by opening the terminal and doing stuff 100 times faster than when working in X.