Author Topic: Help With Knoppix Linux Live CD  (Read 1045 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
Help With Knoppix Linux Live CD
« on: 29 August 2002, 03:41 »
Hello,

Yesterday was my first time EVER using Linux, and it was a cathartic experience to say the very least!
I can't get my computer to load up Knoppix, but I whipped over to my friend's place, and tried it on his computer, and it loaded up with absolutely no problems whatsoever!
Okay, my computer is (a piece of crap) a Compaq Presario 5360 with a AMD K6 450mhz processor with that 3D Now crap, and 256 megs of ram, and a Voodoo 3000 Video/3D accelerator card thingy. I have changed the BIOS settings so that the computer will boot to the CD first. Everything will go along fine until it actually reaches the point where it checks for everything on my computer, and then it reads the last thing, which is my sound card (Ess Solo 1), and then that's it. It doesn't do anything, and the computer is totally locked up to the point that I have to pull the power cord as the on/off button is disabled. I can only think that there is a conflict with my Video Card, and the Actual On-Board 3D Now Video Thingy that I have to disable in order to get everything to work with no conflicts with my present setup(I probably don't have it setup right on my computer in the first place). I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks in advance,
1mck

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2002, 04:01 »
I'm afraid I can't help you much other than it appears to be hanging up on your sound card (but you already knew that). And I have to admit that I've never heard of Knoppix. What made you decide to try that one as your first?

And as far as live eval CDs have you tried SuSe's run from CD eval? Of course I've never run that one either but at least it's one of the major distros. Or is Knoppix a code word for SuSe's live eval? Sorry for not being able to help.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

1mck

« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2002, 04:54 »
Thanks for the info.

I read about it in one of the threads, and I checked it out, and it is absolutely amazing what it can do. Of course, that was on my friend's computer, and not on my piece of shit.
I'll check into the Suse jobber, and maybe that one will work. I don't want to go through the hassle of partitioning my hard drive...I've only got 10gigs, so when I get a Real computer, then I'll be doing the partition thing.
Here is the Link to Knoppix:
http://www.knoppix.org/

1mck

« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2002, 05:35 »
I'm downloading Suse Live Eval 8.0 as I write, and there is a whole whack of stuff there. I downloaded all the little stuff, but when I make the .iso do I have to include the other stuff too?
Like: (rawwritewin.exe) or (modules1)???? Or do I just plain burn the .iso?

Thanks in advance (again),
1mck

ps
For my first ever experience with Linux, I was thourghly impressed, and I really like all the stuff that was on the Knoppix Linux, and I couldn't get over how many applications were jammed packed into it! My buddy and I surfed the internet, and played some games, and then tried out the office stuff, and you know what? If I had started with this in the first place instead of Windoze, then I don't think that I would have ever even considered Microsoft! I will be starting a new thread later on about this, and what I'm hoping that the extremely intelligent people who inhabit this bulletin board can do to get Linux more main stream.

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: 1mck ]

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2002, 06:32 »
The only thing you should need is the ISO to make the bootable CD. Good luck.

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

1mck

« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2002, 17:30 »
Worked like a charm dude! I was unable to get out on the internet with Suse, but it did allow me to fart around with it, and get a really good feel for what Linux is all about:) Bottom line, yeah...thumbs way up!

creedon

« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2002, 20:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
I'm afraid I can't help you much other than it appears to be hanging up on your sound card (but you already knew that). And I have to admit that I've never heard of Knoppix. What made you decide to try that one as your first?

And as far as live eval CDs have you tried SuSe's run from CD eval? Of course I've never run that one either but at least it's one of the major distros. Or is Knoppix a code word for SuSe's live eval? Sorry for not being able to help.

VoidMain, Knoppix is a German distro based on Debian; it was intended to be a "rescue" distro; it can run a complete Linux installation directly from a CD.  I've heard some good things about it, but I haven't had a chance to use it (56k downloads are a risk at my age; I might not live that long!)
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2002, 20:50 »
Yeah, I checked out the web site after posting the message. I've only ever ran one distro from CD and that was that DemoLinux CD a few days ago (also Debian based). I can see where they could come in very handy as a rescue disk. You can certainly fit more on a CD then on a floppy and with OpenOffice and the like makes a pretty good demo.

creedon

« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2002, 21:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
Yeah, I checked out the web site after posting the message. I've only ever ran one distro from CD and that was that DemoLinux CD a few days ago (also Debian based). I can see where they could come in very handy as a rescue disk. You can certainly fit more on a CD then on a floppy and with OpenOffice and the like makes a pretty good demo.
I've seen several different applications that allow you to build a rescue CD for your particular installation.  When you talk about 700Mb of available file space, you could have quite the rescue disc.  I haven't tried building one yet for the following reasons:
A. I'm not that confident in my skills; I've learned everything piecemeal; no formal training.
B. I'm basically lazier than an adobe brick.
I DO keep a rescue floppy handy, though.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2002, 22:05 »
Actually they used a compressed CD file system so you actually have closer to 2GB to work with on a CD. Pretty cool.

1mck

« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2002, 06:27 »
Guess what? After reading about what Knoppix is I wrote an email to Knoppix, and within a few hours I had a response, and I am very happy to say that I'm writing this using Knoqueror:)

If anyone has a problem with Knoppix, then try this line of code that the guy from Knoppix told me to try: (this is at the boot command line on the first screen:)

knoppix noapic nousb nopcmcia noscsi noagp nodma

It works like a hot damn!lol

I am presently listening to one of the included songs in the .ogg format. This "Rescue" version is incredible! It is much faster than the Suse Evaluation CD that I downloaded, and it is fully functional. I'll be spending the rest of today farting around with this now:)
Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

1mck

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2002, 06:45 »
Cool, downloading now... looks like it'll need a 700MB CD... damn, all I have are 640's lying around.... what to do.... I think I can loop mount the ISO, copy everything out, delete some crap (/usr/share/doc/*), recreate ISO and burn the sucker, will let you know how it comes out.

And here is a file that lists more boot options:
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

1mck

« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2002, 08:09 »
Here's an even better idea to fix your problem:
Simply go to your local store, and at the computer department purchase some new cd's;)LOL Spend the cash for the 700MB CD's, hey they even sell them at 7-11 now, and save yourself the headache! I'm going to have to go and fork over some cash for some new CD's pretty soon as well.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2002, 08:25 »
I would but I'm on some killer pain medication right now and can't drive, plus it's not that big of a deal to remaster the CD. And I can put some of my own stuff on it this way.

1mck

« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2002, 08:58 »
Hope you get better soon, and I'd love to know how to do all the stuff that you do with Linux!
I just can't believe how far the technology has come where you have the entire Operating System on one CD...not some of it, but whole thing! Kool!

1mck