Author Topic: Run OSX on x86  (Read 4920 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2004, 04:08 »
Come to the MES Forums, where everything makes you a troll.
Go the fuck ~

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #46 on: 13 May 2004, 04:09 »
I'm not gonna spend a whole lotta time quoting everything and giving an all out rebuttle.  Just one quote and an analogy.

quote:
You're still referring to interface design, or at least the design decisions that the user will be aware of. The most important aspects of software design are those that relate to how the software is actually built and implemented.

I disagree.  Maybe now, how well a program is programmed is important and how it is implemented is important.  But I believe soon the difference between "good" software and "bad" software will almost be eliminated.  People will get better at programming and more people will expect higher quality than they do now.  My analogy is of course, as always, to the automobile industry.

50 years ago you bought a Buick because it wasn't ever gonna break, ever.  You could get a Jaguar is you wanted.... to fix it every month.  But as time went on the difference between cars, mechanically, shrank.  Pretty much all cars last as long and work just as good as any other cars.  Although, now the American market seems to be behind, it is essentially all the same.  The only difference between what sells and what doesn't sell is looks.  Some very good examples of this are the PT Cruiser and the VW Bug.  The PT Cruiser is a Dodge Neon with a new skin.  It has the same tranny, engine, and drive system.  Why do PT Cruisers sell for much more and in much higher quantity than Dodge Neons?  because they look good.  Same with the bug.  The Bug is a VW Golf, yet more copies of the bug have been sold for much more than the golf... why you ask?  because it looks good.

Now apply this to future software.  When Microsoft Word and  Open Office can do the same shit and are equally stable which one will people buy?  Now people with no money will have to go with OpenOffice, but a normal consumer will buy MS Word because it has a better UI than OpenOffice does, because it is easier to use and looks better.  When Photoshop and Microsoft Photohut (hypothetical) come out which one will be bought by the masses.  Even if the MS one has a higher price tag, it will sell because it will look nicer and be easier to use than Photoshop.

So in the very near future when programs are stable and can do the same shit equally well, the one with the superior UI wins outright.

flap

• Kudos: 137
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #47 on: 13 May 2004, 04:14 »
Why are you assuming people will get better at programming?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #48 on: 13 May 2004, 05:15 »
tell me again, WHY is defending Mac OS in the Mac OS forum trolling?

but blindly bashing it in it's own forum not?

flap and insomnia are the real trolls.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #49 on: 13 May 2004, 05:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Come to the MES Forums, where everything makes you a troll.

quote:
Originally posted by Sauron: Troll Warrior:
tell me again, WHY is defending Mac OS in the Mac OS forum trolling?

but blindly bashing it in it's own forum not?

flap and insomnia are the real trolls.

Did you guys actually read my whole reply?  Having an opinion does NOT make you a troll.  flap and insomnia can bash the mac all they want.  HOWEVER, saying "fuck off" and shit like that is not ok. This is the kind of thing that starts flame wars, and if this thread turns into another one, then I will can it.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #50 on: 13 May 2004, 20:11 »
Yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw.

YOU are turning into one now with your brainless troll shit.

You whiney people ruin more threads with this crap.

Welcome to MES where the moderators are trolls.
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #51 on: 13 May 2004, 22:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw.

YOU are turning into one now with your brainless troll shit.

You whiney people ruin more threads with this crap.

Welcome to MES where the moderators are trolls.

How old are you?  You seem to be as mature as a 10 year old.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #52 on: 14 May 2004, 06:32 »
No, you seem to be as mature as a 10 year old. You're the one who comes and says "I THINK YOU'RE MEAN!"

No, sorry, I'm what's known as an asshole and I love treating people like shit when they deserve it. When you learn that, everybody's life will be better.

I want to thank you once again for killing this thread, Mr. Policeman. Glad you're looking out for us to make sure that we're polite and well-behaved.
Go the fuck ~

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2004, 20:24 »
I wonder the efficiency of the emulation software. I could see mac games running in linux, unless it is very inefficient. None the less, it is about time someone did this. My question is, is it possible to run programs optimized for a different processor/architecture with any efficiency?
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #54 on: 15 May 2004, 02:37 »
Likely not. I can see Mac OS X being especially slow, as it relies heavily on AltiVec. Even natively on PPC750 (G3) it's still laggy in the graphics department, as they chose to use AltiVec acceleration over true graphics acceleration.
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #55 on: 15 May 2004, 05:02 »
I find it hard to beleive that this emulator would work well running any mac software.  Macs use their own hardware, so it must be very difficult to emulate it or port it.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #56 on: 15 May 2004, 06:09 »
yay! back on topic!

Paladin, this IS emulating the mac hardware.

you run OSX on top of this. which runs mac hardware.

there have been mac emulators before, but they emulate the Motorola Corporations 680x0 line of chips, which is what Mac's ras on until System 7/OS 8.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Paladin9

• VIP
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #57 on: 15 May 2004, 08:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sauron: Troll Warrior:
Paladin, this IS emulating the mac hardware.

I know.

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #58 on: 17 May 2004, 08:42 »
i think i saw a bit on this on the screen savers today.

aparently it is very unstable and very slow
just say know

Paladin9

• VIP
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #59 on: 17 May 2004, 10:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Stiller:
aparently it is very unstable and very slow

No suprise. Look at how long it took for virtual pc to get any good.  And that is made by a normal software company.