Author Topic: Run OSX on x86  (Read 4921 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #60 on: 6 June 2004, 06:14 »
Update...I just got hold of PearPC 0.1.2 and OSX 10.3 today  

I have a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, and the emulation is indeed rather slow, but usable.  It takes about five minutes to boot the image.  Moving windows around and minimizing/maximizing lags somewhat as well.  However, I can use it without getting a headache.  ;)   I found I could speed up Finder a crapload by clicking on that oval-shaped thing in the right-hand corner (lol...what's it called?) so that it looks like the old Finder, and using new windows each time.  There's no networking support for Windows yet, so I can't test out Safari.

But I must say, OSX is quite an amazing package.  It's like the classic OS with an opening to the internals, thanks to the terminal and Activity Monitor.     Just one thing...how do I make the Unix hierarchy appear in Finder?  :confused:

Still, emulating a G3, standard graphics, no USB, etc., I wouldn't recommend any less than my current CPU right now.     It's early yet, so PearPC may speed up in the future.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

WMD

• Global Moderator
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #61 on: 6 June 2004, 06:36 »
I just got a BSOD in Win2k while running this.  UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.  :mad:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #62 on: 6 June 2004, 14:55 »
I tried same as you WMD, but on Linux. I got it to install but the installation wouldn't boot.
I gave up and took my 3GB disk space back.

May give it a try again when it has progressed a little. I have some got nice screenies from using it though
Contains scenes of mild peril.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #63 on: 6 June 2004, 21:45 »
Hey, does anyone have copies of PearPC 0.1.2, Mac OS X, and Virtual PC?

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #64 on: 6 June 2004, 23:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:
Hey, does anyone have copies of PearPC 0.1.2, Mac OS X, and Virtual PC?

I have Virtual PC (the last non-MS version)

WMD

• Global Moderator
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #65 on: 6 June 2004, 23:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
I tried same as you WMD, but on Linux. I got it to install but the installation wouldn't boot.

I couldn't get it to boot either, until I used a config frontend program from the PearPC site.  However, it's only for win32.  :(

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?FrontPage
My BSOD gallery

nukinfutz

• Kudos: 0
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #66 on: 15 June 2004, 19:36 »
why do you PC guys bash us with all of these myths?? Fact is , OS X can do almost everything that you guys can! I have a linux PC at home AND a mac running panther, and i would choose the mac. Plus, macs come with loads of free stuff, such as tony hawk's pro skater 4, none of those demo versions that the windows boxes come with.  
windows is a 32-bit shell for a 16-bit operating system originally designed for a 4-bit computer from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #67 on: 16 June 2004, 00:42 »
quote:
how do I make the Unix hierarchy appear in Finder?

Why in blue blazes would you want to do that?
Go the fuck ~

WMD

• Global Moderator
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #68 on: 16 June 2004, 01:29 »
Was expecting that reply.     I'm much a Linux/Unix guy and I want to play around.  It's only an emulated version, so I don't mind if I mess it up.  ;)
My BSOD gallery

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #69 on: 16 June 2004, 02:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by nukinfutz:
why do you PC guys bash us with all of these myths?? Fact is , OS X can do almost everything that you guys can! I have a linux PC at home AND a mac running panther, and i would choose the mac. Plus, macs come with loads of free stuff, such as tony hawk's pro skater 4, none of those demo versions that the windows boxes come with.    

:rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #70 on: 16 June 2004, 05:54 »
vmac ppc is cool.  I have OS 1.1 running on it.  It is only for osx as far as I know, and I had to find a rom file to get it to work.  I found that in os 1.1 if you highlight the trash can or open it, then click on the menu bar and it will crash with the all too common "sorry, a system error has occored..."  I am not sure if this is because of the emulator, or if os 1.1 really did that.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #71 on: 16 June 2004, 08:02 »
System 1.1 really did that. It does that on my original Mac
Go the fuck ~

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #72 on: 16 June 2004, 18:03 »
Now what would be neat is to run OS X emulated under windows with PearPC, which is emulated on a Mac with VirtualPC. It would be horribly, ridiculously slow, but just think about how cool that would be....

WMD

• Global Moderator
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #73 on: 16 June 2004, 21:11 »
^ Someone posted a pic of that at Slashdot.
My BSOD gallery

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #74 on: 17 June 2004, 06:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
System 1.1 really did that. It does that on my original Mac

Wow. Really?

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination