Author Topic: this place sucks ass  (Read 3899 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« on: 10 November 2003, 05:02 »
man, this place is a shitty joke. I'm sick with coming to this place where there's no interesting discussion.

it's one of several things

1) Rehashing the same tired anti-MS arguments. Yes, we KNOW WHY THEY'RE BAD! Allright already!

2) Dudes whining about people that make fun of Linux. It's okay for them to bash "all those closed source OSes" but say ANYTHING about Linux or OSS, and you're an "idiot" or "child". Especially shitty ass X11. Why don't you  guys give up on that turd? It's hopelessly outdated and, well... SUCKS ASS. It might be interesting to hear some reasons why it doesn't but I never hear them. I just get flamed for saying anything bad about it. Fuck off.

3) Trolls TROLLS TROLLS EVERYFUCKINGWHERE AND NOBODY CAN STOP THEM. Webmaster doesn't care. He doesn't give a fucking shit. He's too lazy and shitty to delete accounts. Maybe he should give admin rights to someone who will actually fucking do something, but no.

This place sucks ass because of Linux pussies and trolls.

Why don't you change the name of this shithole to "The Linux and Troll Club"

YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: jimmy james ]

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: jimmy james ]

Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
this place sucks ass
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2003, 05:21 »
nevermind

Thanks laukev

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: Ecsyle ]

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
this place sucks ass
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2003, 05:32 »
post made redundant

moved to Friends of the MES

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: [root@localhost /]# ]

2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
this place sucks ass
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2003, 05:44 »

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2003, 05:47 »
AHHHHH!

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: jimmy james ]

Go the fuck ~

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
this place sucks ass
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2003, 07:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Great_Satan:
Hello. My IP number is 172.156.216.40, and I want you all to hack into my computer and spam me. Thank you.

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

I should probaly quote this post in case Great_Stupid tries to change it.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
this place sucks ass
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2003, 07:25 »
Great idea, M51DPS!

Ecsyle, are you sure AOL can do anything about this? I think the abuse address is only for email abuse, not forums.

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
this place sucks ass
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2003, 21:02 »
Jimmy James, X11 isn't technically the best graphics system out there right now, but what do *you* suggest the free software community use?  Something immature and unstable, like Y or Fresco?  Trust me, it would be a mistake.

Anyway, there are some projects that are attempting to address the shortcomings of X11, such as:

cairographics.org

Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output support. Currently supported output targets include the X Window System and in-memory image buffers. PostScript and PDF file output is planned. Cairo is designed to produce identical output on all output media while taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when available (eg. through the X Render Extension).

freedesktop.org - they are currently doing a lot of work to make the various toolkits interact properly with copy/paste, also some interesting hacking to make X11 render in a more "modern" way.

have a look at Havoc Pennington's blog here to see what exactly is going on there:

http://log.ometer.com/2003-11.html#3

The thing is, X11 has a lot going for it, and the only thing we can do is keep working on it, especially since it is is the only viable open source graphics system out there.  Personally I find it much more flexible than the Windows graphics system (not tied to the kernel, multiple window managers/interfaces, faster at rendering 3d graphics in my experience, unmatched remote display capabilities)

X11 isn't what's holding desktop Linux back -- the immaturity of certain end-user applications and necessary polish in GNOME and KDE are the main problems.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2003, 10:15 »
if the GNU movement had made a push for something more modern years ago when they could have, it would have made a world of difference.

Display Postscript has existed since 1988, why not an OSS version of it?

NeXTStep is the OS that Linux should try to be, not generic UNIX!
Go the fuck ~

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
this place sucks ass
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2003, 10:47 »
Hey, Jimmy James's complaining has created the greatest thread of all!

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
this place sucks ass
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2003, 12:09 »
Yah Linux sucks

It's pretty unimpresssive that the stoopid comunity only developed a viable server and desktop os with only volunteer support

People like stallman and Torvalds gave GNU/Linux to the world for free.........I'm not gonna bitch.

BTW you're obviously not using it so why do you even bother to bitch?

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
this place sucks ass
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2003, 17:37 »
Jimmy James there is a reason we defend linux so much, not because we think it is perfect, but because we like it. The truth is that mac users are the same way with their OS, they insist nothing is better regardless of countless facts. The truth is that linux is the only truly viable alternative to proprietary hardware and operating systems. That is it.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
this place sucks ass
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2003, 18:54 »
Basically, but FreeBSD isn't so bad, just not my kind of thing, really.  I think Linux is being developed at a faster rate and therefore will be more relevent in the future.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
this place sucks ass
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2003, 19:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:
Basically, but FreeBSD isn't so bad, just not my kind of thing, really.  I think Linux is being developed at a faster rate and therefore will be more relevent in the future.

I like FreeBSD, but it made me feel like a moron the first time I used it, and this is coming from a linux geek. Besides FreeBSD is x86 only, you cant run it on proprietary hardware like Macs, and Sparcs. Linux is the only OS aside from NetBSD, that runs on every major architecture. The usability of linux and NetBSD are about equal , so what it comes down to are little things like new hardware support, ease of install, number of users for user based support, easy config utilities. Linux is beating NetBSD in these fields. That is why I still praise linux as being the most viable alternative on proprietary hardware, or against a proprietary OS.

Basically what Im trying to say is that if you have a Sparc and you dont like Solaris, or you have a mac and dont want to use mac OS (like that would ever happen) you dont have too many other options. Linux is the best one in my opinion.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
this place sucks ass
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2003, 19:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:
Jimmy James there is a reason we defend linux so much, not because we think it is perfect, but because we like it. The truth is that mac users are the same way with their OS, they insist nothing is better regardless of countless facts. The truth is that linux is the only truly viable alternative to proprietary hardware and operating systems. That is it.

1) The truth is that Linux is, in fact, nothing more than a kernel. The Darwin kernel is just as open/free as the Linux kernel.

2) Most mainstream Linux distros are nothing more than copycats, with interfaces ripped off from the flawed interface of Microsoft Windows, based on a kernel ripped off from another kernel and based on a dated architecture misadapted for desktop operating systems, unlike OpenStep. Not to mention the countless Linux apps that are direct rip-offs of other apps. Still today, many Linux features come, albeit via Microsoft Windows, from Apple innovation.

3) Linux is based on an OS designed for servers, whereas Mac OS X is based on OpenStep, which was designed for the desktop.

4) Despite being open source, Linux desktops have been very slow to evolve, and are still not as easy to manage as Mac OS, which in comparison has been easy to use since day one in 1984. Countless other OSes, including Mac OS X and BeOS, have achieved in a few years what Linux has not done in a decade: ease of use for simple AND complex tasks.

5) Even software development tools are easier on Mac OS X than on Linux, which is supposedly a stronghold for programmers. Apple's Xcode allows you to change source code of a running program, while compiling it as you change the code!

6) For the record, even some system administrators considered UNIX (not counting OpenStep) a nightmare compared to other easier, more powerful and more flexible server OSes like VMS (I cannot testify this, for I have never used VMS).

7) Not only Mac users say that Linux is not as good as OS X. BeOS users have said it, OpenStep users have said it, Windows users have said it, people who have tried to switch to Linux (ie. me) have said it. Even the CEO of Redhat said that Linux is not ready for the desktop.