Author Topic: this place sucks ass  (Read 3900 times)

emh

• Kudos: 0
this place sucks ass
« Reply #30 on: 14 November 2003, 04:10 »
Must put in my two cents.

I've now used Linux for a little over a year now (Mandrake 8.2-9.1).  I'll be the first person to say that it is not perfect.  Software installation can be a pain (although one thing I like about Mandrake is that 90% of any dependencies you may need are already on the CD's) and hardware support isn't perfect.  (Which isn't the fault of Linux, but it's still an issue)  However, I still think it's far better than any Windows OS I've ever tried.  I just realized recently how great of an operating system it is for music recording and production.  

Is Linux ready for the desktop?  In my opinion, yes it is.  In the first month, I had some trials and tribulations with Mandrake 8.2, but after I got some things working, I was really happy with it.  Now, just because it's ready for me, doesn't necessarily mean it's ready for someone else.  There is a bit of a learning curve involved, especially if you've used Mac or Windows for years before.  For me, Mandrake Linux is very user-friendly and everything can be set up with a few clicks of the mouse.  Now, this might not be the case for someone else.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that, Linux is as ready for the desktop as you want it to be.  And the issues I mentioned will only get better the more people use Linux.

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
this place sucks ass
« Reply #31 on: 16 November 2003, 02:34 »
I don't know about freeBSD, but I've used linux and by far, I think it's better than macs. It has utilities like screen capture and openoffice with makes superior.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
this place sucks ass
« Reply #32 on: 16 November 2003, 02:38 »
openoffice also has a mac verison i think... and for sure you can take a screenshot, right?

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
this place sucks ass
« Reply #33 on: 16 November 2003, 03:47 »
quote:
I think it's better than macs.

I would suggest that you get more familiar with Macs, then, as both reasons reasons you stated are obviously wrong. By the way, many Linux apps, including KDE, are available for OS X, as it is a UNIX-based OS like Linux.

[ November 15, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
this place sucks ass
« Reply #34 on: 16 November 2003, 19:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:
openoffice also has a mac verison i think... and for sure you can take a screenshot, right?

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
this place sucks ass
« Reply #35 on: 17 November 2003, 02:32 »
I tried to download that. But I couldn't figger out how ta.

insomnia

this place sucks ass
« Reply #36 on: 17 November 2003, 04:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Macman: No longer posts here:
I tried to download that. But I couldn't figger out how ta.

You'll first need to install X11 for OS X.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/

I only know a few persons who use OS X, but they all seem to like it's X11 version.
  ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
this place sucks ass
« Reply #37 on: 17 November 2003, 17:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy james:
k... gotta pitch in some...

1. MacOS X
2. NeXTStep/OpenStep/Rhapsody
3. BeOS
4. FreeBSD
5. Mac OS 9
6. Linux and friends
7. Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Server 2K3 (NT 5.x)
8. Darwin (since it is distributed freely separate of OS X)
9. DOS w/ Windows 3.1

Well if that is your list here is mine.

1. GNU/Linux
2. FreeBSD
3. NetBSD
4. Sun Solaris x86
5. Microsoft Windows 2000
6. Mac OS X
7. Windows XP
8. Old Mac OS
9. Windows 9x
10. BeOS
11. Windows 3.1/DOS

As for that shit about x11 being suitable only for server use, you know that is bullshit. A server doesn't even need a gui, and X11 has a lot more features than the old gui's such as windows 3.1, which might I add was part of a "Desktop" OS. So be quiet with that server only nonsense.

[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: ThePreacher ]

Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

solarismka

this place sucks ass
« Reply #38 on: 17 November 2003, 18:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Merciless Darth Jimmy James:
man, this place is a shitty joke. I'm sick with coming to this place where there's no interesting discussion.

it's one of several things

1) Rehashing the same tired anti-MS arguments. Yes, we KNOW WHY THEY'RE BAD! Allright already!

2) Dudes whining about people that make fun of Linux. It's okay for them to bash "all those closed source OSes" but say ANYTHING about Linux or OSS, and you're an "idiot" or "child". Especially shitty ass X11. Why don't you  guys give up on that turd? It's hopelessly outdated and, well... SUCKS ASS. It might be interesting to hear some reasons why it doesn't but I never hear them. I just get flamed for saying anything bad about it. Fuck off.

3) Trolls TROLLS TROLLS EVERYFUCKINGWHERE AND NOBODY CAN STOP THEM. Webmaster doesn't care. He doesn't give a fucking shit. He's too lazy and shitty to delete accounts. Maybe he should give admin rights to someone who will actually fucking do something, but no.

This place sucks ass because of Linux pussies and trolls.

Why don't you change the name of this shithole to "The Linux and Troll Club"

You know whats shitty!!! Its trolls like yourselves that have nothing better to do but post stupid topics like this.

Personaly I'm sick of all the mac os l33tests out there.

The perpose of this site is to explain the positives of all alternative OS'es out there, be it mac/bsd or linux.  There is no need to critise any of them really since they are not as flaud as Windows.

Even MAcOSX has its share of problems.  Its nothing new.  Its just that any OS is a better alternative  than M$.  

As for X11.  Whats wrong with it?  I love it!!! I think I performs wonderfuly and I jhave no problem with it.

If your using a mac.  Then X11 doesn't even concern you!  So why bother bitching!

you said

quote:
This place sucks ass because of Linux pussies and trolls.  

Well I say this place sucks ass because of over l33test Mac users like Jimmi James over there and trolls!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

this place sucks ass
« Reply #39 on: 17 November 2003, 18:47 »
GNU/Linux  Is perfect for the Desktop!!!  It has all the applications I need and I can do anything and more in my linux box that I used to do in my windows.

Heck if windows is considered a great desktop after alll those virii/trojens/ Stable issues, ugly UI etc etc etc....  Then Linux is more than ready!!!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
this place sucks ass
« Reply #40 on: 18 November 2003, 21:02 »
From A BusinessWeek article of June 2003

quote:
Steve Jobs can thank Linux. Long maligned as a desktop nonstarter, Linux should pass Apple in market share for desktop operating systems on computers sold in the coming year. That means from 7% to 10% of all PCs shipped won't bear the Windows icon.

web page

From a ZDNet article

quote:
"Certainly by...2005, possibly by the end of 2003, Linux will pass Mac OS as the No. 2 operating environment," said IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky.

web page

From a NewsForge.com article

quote:
One of the world's largest IT companies is declaring that the Linux desktop will capture 20% of the market for desktop computers in large enterprises within 5 years.

Siemens Business Systems, the $6 billion global IT consulting and outsourcing company, has conducted extensive testing with real-world, non-technical workers and is declaring that Linux has matured as a desktop and will quickly vault to the #2 most-installed OS in the world.

web page

And China Just made a deal with Sun to buy one MILLION Linux desktops

quote:
McNealy announced today that the Chinese government has pledged to deploy a million computers in the next year using Sun's Linux desktop software.

web page

So after that it's pretty obvious that Linux is useless for desktop use    

Oh yah, when you've only got a few small companies like IBM,Nokia,Intel,Cisco,HP and Dell supporting Desktop Linux you really don't have a chance in hell anyway

web page

I guess Linux is doomed   :(

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: suselinux ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
this place sucks ass
« Reply #41 on: 18 November 2003, 21:27 »
I have openoffice on my mac, oh yeah, and i can also take screenshot.

I do not think Linux is ready to replace windows on the desktop yet. No way. I cant change screen resolutions without restarting x. Windows lets me. OSX lets me. In fact, the only thing holding Linux back in my humble opinion, is x11. it dosent feel as "tight" as Quartz, or even Windows. Once Linux "feels" as good as the other major players, then i can see it taking over. then you will see more apps ported over, maybe even ome of the major players, like Adobe, Macromedia, Autodesk,

Dont get me wrong. I love Linux. I use it often. It just needs some polishing and something to make people want to switch. Make it appeal to the masses. They dont care about price. I dont know anyone who actually buys new versions of windows, except, of course, when they bought their computer. It is kicking ass as a server os. But, it would take a fucking miracle for me to switch to linux from osx.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
this place sucks ass
« Reply #42 on: 18 November 2003, 10:40 »
Check out Xserver, produced by the freedesktop.org hackers.  It will include a vector-graphics library with PDF output and accellerated graphics using OpenGL when available.  It may bring the X window system one step closer to Quartz:

http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/screenshots/

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« Reply #43 on: 18 November 2003, 14:04 »
quote:
As for that shit about x11 being suitable only for server use, you know that is bullshit. A server doesn't even need a gui, and X11 has a lot more features than the old gui's such as windows 3.1, which might I add was part of a "Desktop" OS. So be quiet with that server only nonsense.

lol

I'm glad it has more features than windows 3.1! considering 3.1 handled drawing primatives, and some vector-oriented shit like lines, simple curves and beziers and crap.

X11 is a turdburglar. here... this should say it all...

yeah, even Captain Picard and the shitty ass Borg think that X11 sucks ass.

Let's do a scientific comparison here...

Okay, Quartz is able to perform real-time transforms on each individual window, including that QuickTime movie (MPEG4 format, 720x404x24-bit 30fps video) when I activate the "Tile All Windows" function. This tiles all open, non-minimized windows so that all are visible simultaneously. I can then choose the window I want.

During the transition, and while the QuickTime window is scaled down, the video continues to play, with ZERO SKIPPED FRAMES... on a 500MHz G3 iMac with a 16MB Rage 128 video card. I've got ZERO OpenGL acceleration. This machine CANNOT use Quartz Extreme... and I still get those results. The experience really isn't even that bad on older video circutry either. Take Rage 2 and Rage Pro for example. The original bondi blue iMac, and the 5-flavor slot-load models all used Mach64-based Rage 2 and Rage Pro video chipsets. Quarts fully supports ALL EFFECTS with video acceleration. It took some time for it to be implemented, but guess what... IT'S THERE.

If I were to minimize that video window, the video CONTINUES TO PLAY during the minimize animation... that is, the now famous "genie" effect, as the window is sucked down into the Dock. Once in the Dock and miniturized, the video STILL PLAYS!

Guess what... I'd say that Quartz is MUCH MORE ADVANCED than X11. Oh... another thing... these abilities aren't new. NeXTStep, OpenStep, and Rhapsody could all do these things. The capability existed, because they use Display Postscript. Quartz is simply Display PDF. Quartz Extreme is OpenGL accelerated Display PDF.

Quartz is double-buffered and layered. Quartz Extreme is multi-layered. Buffering isn't an issue, because with QE, each window is a plane in OpenGL and its contents are a texture. Each window continues to render, without regard to whether it is visible or obscured. It's only drawn into video memory if it's visible.

Quartz supports 24-bit alpha, at any color depth (Display Postscript and Quartz both dither the display at lower depths instead of getting the ugly "8-bit" effect). Menus are equally translucent at millions of colors as they are at 256.

Quartz supports real-time vector transforms on ANY on-screen element... whether it be stored as a vector image or as a bitmapped image. Quartz cares not. The display is rendered as PDF.

What of Windows you ask? Guess what, Longhorn's new desktop compositor is ALSO vector based! But that's not quite so important, as it's not here yet. But don't you worry, because it too can perform real-time vector transforms. It, too is fully GL accelerated.

Also, both Quartz and the Windows Desktop Compositor use much more user-friendly methods of providing hardware support. Instead of having to change the core program (the X server binary), they use plug-in drivers. The program code that runs and takes care of things is hardware-independent.

Yes... in today's day and age, X11 is less-than-optimal.

Oops... sorry.

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: jimmy james ]

Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« Reply #44 on: 18 November 2003, 14:18 »
quote:
Jimmi James

Question...