Author Topic: Rather dead lately...  (Read 2667 times)

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2004, 20:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by flap:

Whether software is proprietary or open source/free software has nothing to do with patents.

I know.
But it's the proprietarian aspect that makes some patents insane.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

solarismka

Rather dead lately...
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2004, 22:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sauron: Troll Warrior:

when you try to force it on everybody else.

I've never seen the open source community 'force' anything on anyone.  I have seen them counter the FUD spread by M$ and their so called followers, but thats about it.

If anything I see the forcing of propriatory products like m$ since they are the only ones using practices that squash innovation.  

As for complaining about m$.  Alot of people come here because they run m$ software and are sick of it.  So they make a connection by first listing a valid complaint usually followed by the reason they use such software in the first place.  Thats when we usualy respond to alternative methods.  

I find that its also good to list the problems inthe m$ world to keep track of things incase an troll pops his head out once and a while.  I find the facts here have come in very handy.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

Rather dead lately...
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2004, 22:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:

Except I'm not a troll.

Except you are!

quote:
But since all you have to do is say that somebody is...

Nope, see::

http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000586

quote:
SOLARIS IS A TROLL!!!!![/b]

Ok, so you don't even know what a troll is I see.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2004, 22:40 »
Well. Lets talk proprietary software.

Autocad, which I use on a daily basis, is THE BEST drafting software i have ever used. Nothin comes close to how powerful autocad.

Revit, a powerful BIM, or building information modeler, proprietary, and fucking insanely badass. There is no open source equivilant, and I doubt that anyone could make one.

Autodesk VIZ and 3D Studio Max. You really think blender even stands up to these?

The Adobe line. GIMP sucks. Period. Adobe has created a very nice set of apps. From InDesign to Illustrator. Adobe kicks ass, and noone has been able to create opensource equals.

These are apps I use all the time to get my work done. And I use windows and OSX to run them. The world of linux offers me nothing besides apache and MySQL, which my mac handles just fine. In fact. I don't see why I even run linux as my mac can do everything I need linux to do.

I am not going to cripple myself by only using opensource software.

Proprietary != evil. I am all for the sharing of information when the situation requires it. I see no reason why photoshop should be opensource, or autocad and Viz. What could possible be gained by it? We would end up with a shitload of different distributions of similar products that will not work as well, or be as integrated. Right now, I can build a model in autocad or revit, open it in Viz for texturing and more detailed modeling, and still retain all the building information while mainting a link to the other programs. So if person C has to make some changes to the model in autocad, and I am busy adding textures and animating the scene in Viz, I don't have to start over. The updates will show up in my scene and the workflow doesnt stop. Same behavior in adobes line of software. Wht does gimp have? It doesnt even have layer grouping or layer sets, or non-destructive editing tools, or even decent masking tools.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2004, 01:45 »
Hah! I knew y
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

xyle_one

• VIP
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2004, 01:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by cahult:
Hah! I knew y

solarismka

Rather dead lately...
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2004, 02:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by xyle_one:

Let me reply to myself since I am pretty sure this is what would happen anyways-

"But open source is GOOD AND WHOLESOME like JESUS, and Bill Gates and his evil empire of proprietary demon software is SATAN!!!.[/

Nope.  The usualy complaints is because windows.  No matter what version is very flaky.

Curse him for not being a dirty hippy free thinking ass clown. I don't want to be locked into his proprietary system, nor do I want anyone else to be. I want them to use only LINUX AND GNU SOFTWARE because its better. Its not locking them into a system, its LIBERATING the people FROM AN EVIL DICTATOR!!!!"

????....

quote:

Well. It would sound something like that.

To an m$ zealot, it would sound something like that.

quote:
In which I would reply, "OSX RULEZ, LINUX DROOLZ, ROFLMAOLAFOO!1!!1!!1!oneoneone!!!dot. Buy only mac because of FREEDOM"

To which you'd be pointed out for trolling.

And it will continue like this for 38 pages,

dunno.  maby.

quote:
resulting in me randomizing my password again, locking me out of my account,

quote:
JimmyJames creaming at everyone for being stupid

Hes always screaming at someone.  Thats what he does.

quote:
and a few linux fags fagging up an already fag ass thread by spouting the same arguments over and over again.

I haven't seen that yet.  But I have seen windows trolls do it a nuber of times.

quote:
"Its freedom of choice." Well, Thanks to that freedom of choice, I chose OSX, Windows and alot of PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE.

Good for you.  

quote:
Stop trying to take my freedom away you godamned hippies.

What the fuck are you rambling on about?  What hippy is threatninn your 'freedom.'  Did one try to bust down your door or something?

[ May 19, 2004: Message edited by: xyle_one ][/b]

:confused:

xyle_one

• VIP
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2004, 03:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:

:confused:  

Want to try that again without it sucking so goddamned much  ;)

solarismka

Rather dead lately...
« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2004, 03:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by xyle_one:
Well. Lets talk proprietary software.

quote:

Autocad, which I use on a daily basis, is THE BEST drafting software i have ever used. Nothin comes close to how powerful autocad.

hmm.  I never use autocad so....

quote:

Revit, a powerful BIM, or building information modeler, proprietary, and fucking insanely badass. There is no open source equivilant, and I doubt that anyone could make one.

hmmm.  Never used a BIM, don't intend too.  Maby there isn't an open source equivilant.  I really don't know since I don't use those kinds of software.  Sure people could make one.  If Revit can do it so can everyone else.

quote:

Autodesk VIZ and 3D Studio Max. You really think blender even stands up to these?

Dunno, I don't use such software.

quote:

The Adobe line. GIMP sucks. Period. Adobe has created a very nice set of apps. From InDesign to Illustrator. Adobe kicks ass, and noone has been able to create opensource equals.

Thats your opinion.  But I find that the GIMP meets my needs very well.

quote:

These are apps I use all the time to get my work done.

quote:
And I use windows and OSX to run them.

k,

quote:

The world of linux offers me nothing besides apache and MySQL,

hmmm.  The world of windows and mac's offer me nothing but very expensive software on a half broken os.

quote:
which my mac handles just fine.

k,

quote:
In fact. I don't see why I even run linux as my mac can do everything I need linux to do.

?, k.

quote:
I am not going to cripple myself by only using opensource software.

Who said anything about crippling ones self because of opensource?  I use open source and I can do everything that I want.

quote:
Proprietary != evil.

Heck no!  making really bad software, forcing it on people and charging hi prices is wrong.

[quoteI am all for the sharing of information when the situation requires it.
quote:
I see no reason

Same here.

why photoshop should be opensource, or autocad and Viz.

For them, as applications.  A closed source situation fits them.

quote:
What could possible be gained by it? We would end up with a shitload of different distributions of similar products that will not work as well.

How is that?  We would be in the same situation as we are now when it comes to those apps.  People would probably take those apps and change them to fit their own ideas and the like.  If anything there would be better competition and more choice for the end user.  Depending on what the end user needs are.

quote:
or be as integrated.

Its not windows.  Its an application.   The only applications that intergrate into anything is Microsoft apps.  The rest pritty much can stand on their own.

quote:
Right now, I can build a model in autocad or revit, open it in Viz for texturing and more detailed modeling, and still retain all the building information while mainting a link to the other programs. So if person C has to make some changes to the model in autocad, and I am busy adding textures and animating the scene in Viz, I don't have to start over. The updates will show up in my scene and the workflow doesnt stop. Same behavior in adobes line of software. Wht does gimp have? It doesnt even have layer grouping or layer sets, or non-destructive editing tools, or even decent masking tools.[/b]

Good for you.  Keep up the good work.

xyle_one

• VIP
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2004, 03:18 »
Thats great that all you need is openSource apps. Yay. You win I guess  :rolleyes:

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2004, 03:21 »
personally i use proprietary and oss.

oss is usually great for some little program like mozilla or something.

if you want a pro-quality app go proprietary.
just say know

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2004, 03:22 »
I thought AutoCAD (yes, AutoCAD) was pretty damn worse.

If it didn't crash at the ghey welcome screen (which you can't turn off) it didn't save your full progress. Too many fucking bugs.
On top of that, they could've saved me a lot of fucking RTFM if they just added some damn tooltips.
And yes, I'm talking about AutoCAD.

xyle_one

• VIP
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2004, 03:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
I thought AutoCAD (yes, AutoCAD) was pretty damn worse.

If it didn't crash at the ghey welcome screen (which you can't turn off) it didn't save your full progress. Too many fucking bugs.
On top of that, they could've saved me a lot of fucking RTFM if they just added some damn tooltips.
And yes, I'm talking about AutoCAD.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The welcome screen can be turned off in options, and tooltips? They are there. Do you want some screenshots? Who uses toolbars in autocad anyways? Command line all the way.

Autocad rarely crashes on me. I can't remember the last time it did.

What version are you using?

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2004, 03:30 »
From Insomnia, who I don't always agree with...

quote:
PS: Nha, Jimmy isn't a troll.

That seems like damning evidence against you, Solaris. Me and insomnia knock heads on nearly everything, but no matter how much of a verbal beating we give each other, he's still able to see the truth.

This, from The Stiller...

quote:
jimmy just makes big replies and tells you you're an idiot. just because hes not nice to everyone doesn't mean hes a troll.

Another strike against you whiners.

quote:
Ok, so you don't even know what a troll is I see.

And The Stiller Strikes Back with more words of wisdom for you...

quote:
cripes you guys throw around the word troll way too much.

trolls are basicly people here who come in with the intention of fucking shit up.

Just as I've been telling you. You don't know what a troll is.

Just accept... I'M RIGHT.

YOU'RE WRONG.

Paladin, Solaris... YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE NOW PISSING PEOPLE OFF. Nobody agrees with you.

Oh, we, the members, also don't give a shit how many moderators agree with you. Moderators are here to serve the population of the forum... and not the other way around.

Please note that this is the truth.
Go the fuck ~

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Rather dead lately...
« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2004, 03:33 »
Jimmy James... well, I had to give him a troll status on some occasions, but that was because he was pissing a lot of forum members off.

I find his posts very humerous most of the time, and it would be sad if he left this forum.