Author Topic: Distro help. Please?  (Read 4587 times)

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Re: Distro help. Please?
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2005, 15:08 »
I think I've got the dual boot thing worked out. I got a drive with 16GB free on it. I think i'll just paritition 14GB of it for Linux and use the other 2GB for the swap partition. Then just put Windows on one disc and everything else on my largest drive (39GB). Will that work? Still got to download Ubuntu though. Got it off p2p and it wasn't an .iso image dammit! It's all there but it's not an image. Oh and by the way what Torrent client/program can I use with Ubuntu? The one I'm currently using is BitLord.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2005, 15:50 »
Azureus is a good choice, Bittornado's available and then there's the built in Bittorrent client.

It will work, but if you want both Linux and Windows to be able to acces the drives, have to use the inferior FAT32 fs, or stick with EXT3, but then you'll need third party Windows softwore that can read EXT3. I'm not sure what that is - but it exists.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 26 October 2005, 17:54 »
Quote from: Jenda
but then you'll need third party Windows softwore that can read EXT3. I'm not sure what that is - but it exists.
http://www.fs-driver.org (freeware)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Dark_Me

« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2005, 01:05 »
Thanks. You guys have been really helpful.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2005, 14:33 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
http://www.fs-driver.org (freeware)

Well I never, piratePenguin suggesting something non-open source what's the world comming to? :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2005, 15:39 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Well I never, piratePenguin suggesting something non-open source what's the world comming to? :D

Yeah, I usually do that, but I won't this time, here's an open source solution that is far better:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2005, 17:17 »
Refalm,
I think in this case the closed source program that piratePenguin suggested is better as it can both read and write to a ext file system where as the one you suggested is read only.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 27 October 2005, 19:37 »
Never knew about the free one, thanks Rafalm.
I initially wasn't gonna post that link, but I thought, if I inform him that it's freeware, he can make his own decision on whether to use it or not.
This software is freeware. It may be copied and distributed free of charge as long as no modifications are made in the software and no components are added or removed.
Stupid, unnecessary (I can only assume) restrictions if you ask me.
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I think in this case the closed source program that piratePenguin suggested is better as it can both read and write to a ext file system where as the one you suggested is read only.
It might be better, but your freedom is restricted.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #23 on: 27 October 2005, 19:45 »

La libert

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 28 October 2005, 00:23 »
Never knew about the free one,

It depends on your point of view, personally I'd rather have the freedom to both read and write to ext under Windows rather than be limited to read only access. The restrictions on my freedom imposed by the licence are of little importance and far out weigh the restrictions that would be imposed by using an inferiour piece of software even though it has a less restrictive lisence. I don't wish to alter the source or compile for a differant OS which would defeat the object of this program anyway, if I wanted to do that I'd just mess around with the origional Linux ext code.

Dark_Me

« Reply #25 on: 28 October 2005, 13:50 »
I agree with Aloone_Jonez. I feel that being able to both read and write is worth it. Besides, if I wanted to alter it I wouldn't know where to begin, so it's really a nonissue for me.
I now have Ubuntu and have burnt it to disc, however I can't install it. I tried running it in Windows, then realised that trying to install another OS while the other was running was a bad idea. That and it wouldn't work. I then tried booting from it. That didn't work. I went into BIOS and changed the boot order to no avail.
Hmm, I just thought of something. If I change the boot order so that it's only option is to boot from CD will that work?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Dark_Me

« Reply #26 on: 28 October 2005, 14:48 »
Opps, it wasn't BIOS, just the boot order in setup. And it didn't work Godammit!:(
I have AMI BIOS if that helps. Tried pressing delete during boot. Didn't work.
Okay so I admit it, I'm stuck. Someone help me. The disk won't boot. Or rather my box won't boot from it.:nothappy: I need help.
EDIT: I might try Vector Linux if Ubuntu won't/can't install. Apparently that is very easy to install.
EDIT:Or any other distro that suits my needs/unreasonable demands and will install.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 28 October 2005, 18:52 »
I really hate it when people decide "who gives a crap about the licence, the product is far superior".
No wonder the world is in such a state.

But sometimes they don't have much choice.

I wonder why.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 28 October 2005, 19:00 »
I've just installed this software and it works a treat.

I have AMI BIOS too and I've never had a problem booting from the CD. I press F11 and it takes me to a boot menu then I select the CD and it boots with no trouble at all.

To get in to setup you need to press F2 when you boot your machine, be as quick as possible, do it just as the screen turns on before it goes beep.

Do any of these keystrokes work?
Do you have a usb keyboard?
If you do that might be the problem as I don't think the BIOS recognizes them so you'll have to use a normal PS2 keyboard, most usb keyboards come with an adaptor it's normally light green coloured.

Dark_Me

« Reply #29 on: 28 October 2005, 20:09 »
So the setup is BIOS. How was I suppost to know? What the hell is BIOS anyway?
F2 and F11 work. My problem is that it wont boot from the disc so I can install it. It's not a live CD or anything. I have played around with the boot order so that it will boot soley from CD and it recongnizes the prescence of a CD but cannot boot from it. I might have to play around with the setup a bit.
Also Ubuntu was suppost to be an .iso image, which it wasn't. Unless you can veiw .iso images without a CD. As folders and various other things.
There isn't any other way to install Ubuntu other than booting from disc is there?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro