Author Topic: DirectX 10: We care about gamers  (Read 8250 times)

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Re: DirectX 10: We care about gamers
« Reply #15 on: 5 December 2005, 19:36 »
Quote from: Jack2000
what ??

oh nooooooooo what ever shall we dooooooo !???? d:P
oh please every fucking new release of M$ soft ware
is backward incompatible!

oh noes, the typical and ignorant MS hater. For your information directx has amazing backward compatability at the moment and it's amaizing what game engines do with it. :thumbdwn: Just because this is an anti-MS site (and MS does make alot of bullshit) still doesn't mean you can make shit up. Stick to the facts, son.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #16 on: 5 December 2005, 22:17 »
Quote from: e7ement
a Ti4800 is an OLD card. It did have alot of juice in it, but nevertheless it's still old. It was the top of the line directx8 card (final in it's generation too) It's not cut out for dx9 games, but will run some in dx8/8.1 mode. It physically won't do dx9. It's also a pixel shader 1.3 card (out dated)... it physically can't handle everything in BF2 and newer games.

Wow, hi-tech.  It's hard to believe you don't know what shell scripting is.
:D

Jack2000

« Reply #17 on: 5 December 2005, 22:26 »
well if dx9-s are compatible
with older versions now the new dx10 will
not be!

i mean just look at the stupid word.doc thing
with each new version it gets a litle bit more incompatible

i am not even going to go to the troubles
that i've had figureing out that on one update the
directx broke and i needed directx eradicator !
i wonder what will happen if you install the new one
and then atempt to semi-unistall it and install an older version
!

and why the heck even bother with directx
couldnot they just fuse it to another driver or
something and not use n-number of dlls for it!?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #18 on: 5 December 2005, 22:41 »
a Ti4800 is an OLD card. It did have alot of juice in it, but nevertheless it's still old. It was the top of the line directx8 card (final in it's generation too) It's not cut out for dx9 games, but will run some in dx8/8.1 mode. It physically won't do dx9. It's also a pixel shader 1.3 card (out dated)... it physically can't handle everything in BF2 and newer games.

Yup, it's all a part of M$ strategy to get you to buy new hardware ... it's an awesome card, but if DirectX doesn't support it, it ain't worth shit :( :fu: M$ :mad:

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #19 on: 5 December 2005, 22:49 »
Is there any OS that has an extensive sets of games?
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

adiment

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 5 December 2005, 23:00 »
Quote from: worker201
Wow, hi-tech.  It's hard to believe you don't know what shell scripting is.
:D

Hey I'm a hardware nerd (and still getting better at CSS and XHTML, on to PHP next though. ;)

Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Yup, it's all a part of M$ strategy to get you to buy new hardware ... it's an awesome card, but if DirectX doesn't support it, it ain't worth shit :( :fu: M$ :mad:

Incorrect. The card cannot physically handle the new shaders and new technology. Every new version of dx adds more capabilities. The Ti series cannot handle them. It's outdated. It's a VS1.1 while everything is VS2.0 and rapidly moving up to 3.0

the Ti4800 is better than the geforce3 hybrid card used in the xbox, but it's still crap. and keep in mind xbox runs games @ 640x480 with no AA/AF...

edit: it's a crap card. ;)

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #21 on: 5 December 2005, 23:08 »
Incorrect. The card cannot physically handle the new shaders and new technology. Every new version of dx adds more capabilities. The Ti series cannot handle them. It's outdated. It's a VS1.1 while everything is VS2.0 and rapidly moving up to 3.0

the Ti4800 is better than the geforce3 hybrid card used in the xbox, but it's still crap. and keep in mind xbox runs games @ 640x480 with no AA/AF...

Well, it's not ... or it wasn't when I bought it ... either way, the "added capabilities" af newer DX versions force people to buy new cards. I'm not convinced that these "added capabilities" add up to too much ... surely they could design DirectX to be compatible with the outdated VS1.1 cards by disabling some of these capabilities and it would work  just fine.

Here's an example ... my brother has a GeForce FX ... supposedly better than mine, but my card can run most older games (like Command & Conquer Generals) at higher resolutions and higher frame rates than his ... but his can run BF2, while mine can't ... what a fucking waste ...

I'm sure that M$ is doing this on purpose ... for maximum profit ... or is there another explanation ?

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #22 on: 6 December 2005, 02:11 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I think they'll get a large bunch of gamers upgrading.

It's a smart move by Microsoft.
There are too many smart moves Microsoft can make in their position.

Well, at least I'm not in that 'large bunch'.

I currently have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500, and while it can't even play Far Cry well at all, it is still a great card for the price we paid for it (practically free :p).

I do get annoyed that I cannot run some of my older games though, it really gets on my nerves when I buy an old game and turns out it doesn't run (Diablo 2) :rolleyes:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #23 on: 6 December 2005, 02:31 »
Wow ... well Far Cry works great with my card, even at max resolution. Too bad the game ain't so good, then I'd play it more often.

So I guess it works both ways then ... no back-compatibility, no forward-compatability ... smells like M$

MarathoN

« Reply #24 on: 6 December 2005, 03:25 »
Hmm, maybe Far Cry just isn't suited to your taste, personally, I think it is the best first person shooter to date, even the multiplayer is great fun.

Well, my old Geforce FX 5700LE could run Far Cry on at least high settings, but this one just can't handle it....

I hope I can at least get a mid-range card for Christmas (6600GT/6800). :D

adiment

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 6 December 2005, 07:15 »
farcry runs like crap on the FX series because the FX were really shitty cards. The Ti series beats the FX in mostly all dx8 benchmarks. The top line of the FX series was also complete crap (FX 5900/5950) becuase they used a hybrid version of pixel pipelines (4x2, making it not use full potential of pixel pipelines in all games) while it's competitor 9800's used 8x1. The FX series also do not fully support dx9 (even though the box says so)...

H_TeXMeX_H, if you don't beleive these added capabililites add much more check out the comparison between different pixel shaders Also check out High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Don't blame MS, MS is responsible for the API, not the backward compatability that some games are lacking (but will fuck us for backward compatabililty for DX10 if anybody actually read this article instead of bitching about their GPU's) blame the game makers that you can't play their games because they don't have support for older cards. HL2 will on on practicaly any card that's DX7+, the engine has support to drop features so older cards can run it and still get good frames, for example on your Ti HL2 would run in dx8 mode. BF2 won't run on your PC becuase it's made by EA, EA is known for not getting shit done so you're not missing much...

MarathoN

« Reply #26 on: 6 December 2005, 10:00 »
Yeah, I already know most of the stuff about the FX series being shit, but the thing that annoys me is that I paid almost the same price as my last card and my last card was at least twice as good in directx 9 games (Far Cry was actually playable) :rolleyes:

Although, my card does quite well on the Source Engine, even if it is only DirectX 8.0 :p

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #27 on: 6 December 2005, 23:01 »
farcry runs like crap on the FX series because the FX were really shitty cards. The Ti series beats the FX in mostly all dx8 benchmarks. The top line of the FX series was also complete crap (FX 5900/5950) becuase they used a hybrid version of pixel pipelines (4x2, making it not use full potential of pixel pipelines in all games) while it's competitor 9800's used 8x1. The FX series also do not fully support dx9 (even though the box says so)...

H_TeXMeX_H, if you don't beleive these added capabililites add much more check out the comparison between different pixel shaders Also check out High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Don't blame MS, MS is responsible for the API, not the backward compatability that some games are lacking (but will fuck us for backward compatabililty for DX10 if anybody actually read this article instead of bitching about their GPU's) blame the game makers that you can't play their games because they don't have support for older cards. HL2 will on on practicaly any card that's DX7+, the engine has support to drop features so older cards can run it and still get good frames, for example on your Ti HL2 would run in dx8 mode. BF2 won't run on your PC becuase it's made by EA, EA is known for not getting shit done so you're not missing much...

Ok, you're probably right, EA takes most of the blame for BF2 ... and yeah, I agree, there is a big difference when comparing pixel shaders ... the only question is ... which one looks better. In some cases SM3.0 looks better than SM2.0 ... and in others, it's the other way around.

In another apples and realworld oranges comparison, we have to think our SM2.0 staircase looks a bit more realistic than the SM3.0.

And yeah ... SM1.1 sucks no matter what.

As for DX10 ... it makes for no forward-compatability, cuz you can't play most older games with DX10 and a new vid-card, and no back-compatability cuz older cards don't support DX10. Did I say that right ? If I didn't, then here ... the word 'compatibility' is not in DX10's list of pros.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #28 on: 6 December 2005, 23:17 »
Hey I'm a hardware nerd (and still getting better at CSS and XHTML, on to PHP next though. ;)

wrong. NTSC is 320x240 @ 24FPS, so its card has it easy not having to render at  above 24FPS
sig.

adiment

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 6 December 2005, 23:39 »
NTSC is 640x480 (4:3) which is the native standard tv resolution. 320x240? what the fuck.