Author Topic: DirectX 10: We care about gamers  (Read 8253 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: DirectX 10: We care about gamers
« Reply #30 on: 6 December 2005, 23:48 »
Actually, according to my information, you're both wrong.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html

this says that NTSC is 704x480 @~30fps.  Widescreen format is 720x480.  Or, for lower resolution, cut each number in half: 352x240 or 360x240.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #31 on: 7 December 2005, 21:02 »
ok, standard def TVs are 352x240. Thats why when you connect your computer upto a standared def TV it always looks crap even if you set it at 640x480.
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #32 on: 7 December 2005, 22:05 »
Quote from: Lead Head
ok, standard def TVs are 352x240. Thats why when you connect your computer upto a standared def TV it always looks crap even if you set it at 640x480.

Whenever I connect my PC to my tv, the maximum resolution is 1024x768 at 60 Hz. Maybe it's because I have PAL instead of NTSC?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #33 on: 7 December 2005, 22:16 »
Yes, NTSC is shit, I think its limit is 640x480 and PAL is 800x600, I wonder how you got 1024x768?

Your PC always looks shit on a TV because the picture is much bigger and the tube is of a lower quality than most monitors.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #34 on: 7 December 2005, 23:08 »
I study video engineering let me clear some stuff up.

NTSC is 720 x 480 interlaced frames at 60Hz,  This framterate was picked because the AC power in the US cycles at 60Hz.  The pixels on an NTSC TV are not square like the ones on your computer monitor.  They are slightly skinny, widescreen TV is the same, but the pixels are simply wider than they are tall

PAL, on the other hand is 525 lines, but at 50Hz, a ower framerate, again, because the UK and Europe AC power cycles at 50 Hz.  PAL uses a very interesting solution for widescreen broadcast.  They use a system called PAL Plus, in which widescreen content is broadcasted letterboxed, BUT with extra data in the space that the letterboxes use, thus when a PAL Plus receiver is used, the box will take that data to fill in the information that would otherwise be lost in the cropping procedure.  This system is not as widely used anymore as it once was, however.

I'm not going to go into SECAM, because nobody uses it anymore.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #35 on: 8 December 2005, 03:45 »
Quote from: Refalm
Whenever I connect my PC to my tv, the maximum resolution is 1024x768 at 60 Hz. Maybe it's because I have PAL instead of NTSC?

same with my TV and it's NTSC... looks fine at 1024x768. Not sure about 60Hz though, playing DVD's that I ripped causes tearing in places.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #36 on: 8 December 2005, 13:28 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Yes, NTSC is shit, I think its limit is 640x480 and PAL is 800x600, I wonder how you got 1024x768?

Your PC always looks shit on a TV because the picture is much bigger and the tube is of a lower quality than most monitors.

I usually do 800x600 on tv, because it looks good.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2005, 00:43 »
DX10 will have backwards compatibility??!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=15&CIID=24636
sig.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2005, 00:58 »
Quote from: Lead Head
DX10 will have backwards compatibility??!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=15&CIID=24636

Lets hope it's true. :p

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #39 on: 12 December 2005, 05:33 »
Typical Microsoft.  Get a monopoly lock on an api (OpenGL is pretty much beaten) and then they start dictating.  You know what's coming, don't you?  

Patented "microsoft technology" in the D3D api that Microsoft "innovates" but the hardware companies actually end up inventing to be compliant.  And these  won't be available to OpenGL or Cedega.

D3D started out as a unified API for all the fragmented 3D accelerator boards that popped up in the mid-1990's.  Now MS (who is NOT a hardware developer) is dictating to the hardware manufacturers what they will and will not put in their cards.  

"Freedom to innovate," what a joke.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #40 on: 18 December 2006, 02:20 »
Quote from: winehq.com/?issue=320#WineConf%202006%20Summary WineConf 2006 09/19/2006 summary
Direct3D10, which will ship with Windows Vista in a few months, doesn't seem to be a large cause for concern. At first glance it appears to be more of an evolutionary change rather than revolutionary. New shader support will be needed, but extending ours once OpenGL supports it should be pretty easy. Stefan mentioned Microsoft is currently offering a lot of incentives for Windows developers who develop D3D10-only games since they'll only be usable on Vista - there's no plan to backport D3D10 to XP. Dan Kegel asked if that means we should port Wine's forthcoming D3D10 implementation to Windows, which would be relatively easy when we switch to WGL.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #41 on: 18 December 2006, 09:47 »
I really haven't been keeping tabs on this disgrace but let me know when taking pride in being a "PC gamer" finally and righteously turns to shame. I can't stand gamer nerds. Fine play your games, but why tout that around as a legitimate concern of OS technology. Grow up. Keep on stickling about trivial increases in textures, resolutions, and polygon count while fiddling around with the same old piece of shit mouse and keyboard. Call me when the actual physical interface advances.

(and yes I know you can buy a joystick, racing wheel, etc. but who has this? And only a wheel & pedals would interest me. Flying with a joystick is retarded. And more important than all that, the showcase of these games, the core reason to geek out on video hardware, is predominantly due to FPS games --hence back to the pathetic mouse and keyboard)

_LiquidOxygen

« Reply #42 on: 18 December 2006, 11:19 »
DirectX 9 doesn't have backwards compatibility. My dad has Windows ME and DirectX 9 and I can't use my older games on it. Why would DirectX 10 have reverse compatibility if 9 didn't? If we can use games that were compatible with previous versions, well, I would be very suprised indeed. Very fucking typical of Microsoft to try and bump users of older stuff off and charge a bomb to use the new stuff.
I can see how much class (or should I say lack of class) they have in trying to remove gamers who use older games and trying to pressurize gamers into upgrading their version of DirectX. Any company with more sense than money would give we gamers some decant hardware/software that can accept older games and older versions or at least offer equipment that can function alongside older hardware and software when both are installed in the same base unit and/or on the same hard drive. Maybe even, like Nintendo, for example, keep their older products available at least somewhere on the market! *sigh* Microsoft's hardware and software gets worse as time passes. Not better. Many other companies provide for all folk who buy their products. But not these losers we are forced to call Microsoft. I guess caring about their customers and trying to provide for most is not how they go about business.
No DirectX upgrade for me. This new version will mean that I might not be able to use any of my games at all.:thumbdwn:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #43 on: 18 December 2006, 17:13 »
DirectX 9 doesn't have backwards compatibility. My dad has Windows ME and DirectX 9 and I can't use my older games on it. Why would DirectX 10 have reverse compatibility if 9 didn't? If we can use games that were compatible with previous versions, well, I would be very suprised indeed.
Interesting that you say this. I've grown in the free software world to expect backwards compatibility to be possible somehow (keeping an old version of a library around), and ya know, I don't think it's any extra inconvenience for the GTK+, Qt, etc.... developers.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #44 on: 18 December 2006, 17:43 »
WHats with the "J00 AINT PLAIN' TEH OLD GAMES !"
Why don't microsoft provide compatibility mode for the executables and when you run the game in that mode it will just use the old Libs.