Author Topic: DirectX 10: We care about gamers  (Read 8251 times)

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
DirectX 10: We care about gamers
« on: 4 December 2005, 22:38 »
Microsoft speaks DirectX 10  

Games  Developers Conference Europe WGF is dead, please welcome DX10

By       Fuad Abazovic in Londinium:       Friday 02 September 2005, 16:01

MICROSOFT finally saw sense and decided to drop Windows Graphic Foundation (WGF) and replace it with the more easier and logical DirectX 10 name for its nexgen API.  It gave some details to the developers officially about its upcoming API and we know that it plans to release this API together with Longhorn. Or Visa, as we must learn to call it.

The DirectX 10 API will have completely new and faster dynamic link libraries (DLLs) and is supposed to run much faster. The company decided to cut the backward compatibility with DirectX 9, 8, 7 and lower in this API but there will be a way to use games programmed for those APIs. Microsoft will enable support for DX 9 or lower games through a software layer, meaning it might run slower.

The company did this to make the next API faster, it said, and at the same time will take some burden of the CPU runtime. At the same time we learned that DirectX 10 will have support for Shaders beyond Shaders, model 4.0.

It's coming with Longhorn but we learned that Shader Model 4.0 might come even before Vista.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Re: DirectX 10: We care about gamers
« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2005, 23:07 »
OH yeah, gamers will be overjoyed about this.  "All your old games?  The ones you hung on to for years?  Well you can run them in a software emulation mode."

I wonder if MS is going to try to force the upgrade treadmill by releasing DX10 only for Vista.  They will likely drop for W98 and W2k.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 5 December 2005, 00:11 »
Correction ... PC gamers will be 'overjoyed' about this. Since I will no longer use PCs for gaming, I don't particularly care anymore. Besides, most new game consoles (PS3) will make PC gaming pretty much obsolete. Either way, I hope M$ takes a big punch in the stomach for this :D ... I'm betting it will.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 5 December 2005, 00:55 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Correction ... PC gamers will be 'overjoyed' about this. Since I will no longer use PCs for gaming, I don't particularly care anymore. Besides, most new game consoles (PS3) will make PC gaming pretty much obsolete. Either way, I hope M$ takes a big punch in the stomach for this :D ... I'm betting it will.

the PS3 uses a 7800GTX so the graphics will not be better than a PC, and if some how they are, PC graphics tech will over take it in aoubt 2 months. and the r580 will be released before the ps3 and the r580 looks like it can put the 7800gtx to shame
sig.

adiment

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 5 December 2005, 01:18 »
Quote from: Lead Head
the PS3 uses a 7800GTX so the graphics will not be better than a PC, and if some how they are, PC graphics tech will over take it in aoubt 2 months. and the r580 will be released before the ps3 and the r580 looks like it can put the 7800gtx to shame

Not to get off topic but - 7800GTX? Wrong. it is an nvidia card though, but they call it "RSX"

GPU specs of PS3:
                                   RSX @550MHz
                                              1.8 TFLOPS floating point                                                performance
                                              Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2                                                 channels
                                              Multi-way programmable parallel                                                floating point shader                                                 pipelines

No shit the r580 will bring the 7800GTX to shame... it's the new generation. The 7800's were made to compete with the x1800's, but people seem to think that they were the competitors of the x800's becuase they were released during their time.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #5 on: 5 December 2005, 02:18 »
It sounds like M$ is trying to force people out, and make them upgrade or do something that isnt nessacary in the practical sense.

I dont think M$ is going to be punched in the gut. Theyre probably end up getting kicked in the ass.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 5 December 2005, 02:26 »
I hope M$ takes a big punch in the stomach for this :D ... I'm betting it will.
Quote from: dmcfarland
I dont think M$ is going to be punched in the gut. Theyre probably end up getting kicked in the ass.
I think they'll get a large bunch of gamers upgrading.

It's a smart move by Microsoft.
There are too many smart moves Microsoft can make in their position.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: 5 December 2005, 03:38 »
You know I can't even run Battlefield 2 on my graphics card (GeForce 4Ti) ... this means I won't be able to run pretty much any new games that come out ... I say game console is a better choice ...

@ piratePenguin ... you're probably right, every move M$ makes is calculated to produce the most profit in the end ... if I want to run new games I'll need to both upgrade to DirectX 10 and buy a new video card ... that ain't gonna happen, I've played by their rules for too long ... it ends with the PS3 ...

oh, and ATI r580 sucks dick ! I never consider the specs of an ATI card they are meaningless to me ... considering the defective piece of shit cards they sold me in the past. I swore I'd never buy ATI again ... ever !

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #8 on: 5 December 2005, 05:20 »
You know I can't even run Battlefield 2 on my graphics card (GeForce 4Ti) ... this means I won't be able to run pretty much any new games that come out ... I say game console is a better choice ...

Wait... are you serious?  Do you mean the 4Ti doesn't have enough power for BF2 or that the drivers won't support it?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

adiment

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 5 December 2005, 06:17 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Wait... are you serious?  Do you mean the 4Ti doesn't have enough power for BF2 or that the drivers won't support it?

a Ti4800 is an OLD card. It did have alot of juice in it, but nevertheless it's still old. It was the top of the line directx8 card (final in it's generation too) It's not cut out for dx9 games, but will run some in dx8/8.1 mode. It physically won't do dx9. It's also a pixel shader 1.3 card (out dated)... it physically can't handle everything in BF2 and newer games.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #10 on: 5 December 2005, 07:11 »
Who cares?
Go the fuck ~

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #11 on: 5 December 2005, 07:21 »
BF2 is a piss-poor implementation of a good concept.

It could have been MUCH better, but the  games coding is absolutely horrendous.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

adiment

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 5 December 2005, 07:59 »
Quote from: skyman8081
BF2 is a piss-poor implementation of a good concept.

It could have been MUCH better, but the  games coding is absolutely horrendous.

it has ALOT of problems...but then again it's made by EA :rolleyes:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #13 on: 5 December 2005, 08:33 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
Who cares?

Word.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Jack2000

« Reply #14 on: 5 December 2005, 15:27 »
what ??
The company decided to cut the backward compatibility

oh nooooooooo what ever shall we dooooooo !???? d:P
oh please every fucking new release of M$ soft ware
is backward incompatible!