Author Topic: advice for linux newbie  (Read 6238 times)

skakillers

• Kudos: 10
advice for linux newbie
« on: 1 March 2005, 18:55 »
i am a newbie to linux, and i have tried Fedora core 1, but it sort of screwed up my computer. i want to rid my computer of the scourge that is bill gates and microsoft, but im unsure of a good distro for a noob like me.
the remote is my friend

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: advice for linux newbie
« Reply #1 on: 1 March 2005, 21:55 »
Well, I would recommend Mandrakelinux or SuSE for absolute newbies.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 1 March 2005, 22:24 »
or just keep reinstalling fedora and fiddling with it until you get it "good".
visit http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/ for more red hat/fedora tips, there's a lot of useful info and a discussion board there which is more red hat/fedora oriented than any other type of linux.

one thing: remember to have your /home directory on its own partition, this way, when you overwrite your / partition, your documents in /home will be untouched. you will have to redo your users, and chown the /home/ directories back to their right owner (perhaps) after your new system is installed, but at least you don't lose any of your configuration.

also, i often find that different version numbers and so on might make your config files (usually in the /home/ directory) do unpredictable things if you install for example SuSE when you had mandrake before and so on. so for example, if i had a problem with gaim after changing my distro, the first thing i would do is delete the /home/calum/.gaim directory.

anyway, i will shut up now in case i frighten you away, but never mind, that's my advice.

good luck, and enjoy.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

skakillers

« Reply #3 on: 2 March 2005, 01:09 »
i  dont want mandrake, ive already read enough stories about how much it sucks, but i think SuSE might be for me
« Last Edit: 2 March 2005, 01:11 by skakillers »
the remote is my friend

liquid boy

• Kudos: 0
    • http://rawdata.tk
« Reply #4 on: 2 March 2005, 02:48 »
you could also try ubuntu linux http://www.ubuntulinux.org - you can order a cd for free (incl shipping :P )
based on debian, uses gnome as the gui...
it has a text installer, but i'ts pretty easy. the only complicated thing really is the partitioning... but then that's always going to be a little trickey.

the thing i like about ubuntu is that it comes with *one* text editor, and *one* web browser, and *one* office suite. you find with alot of the distros, you're overwhelmed with heaps of apps for the same thing. unbuntu keeps it simple, which is nice i think.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 2 March 2005, 05:13 »
Quote from: skakillers
i  dont want mandrake, ive already read enough stories about how much it sucks, but i think SuSE might be for me

Mandrake doesn't suck at all...but Ubuntu is better either way.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

skakillers

« Reply #6 on: 2 March 2005, 20:39 »
im havent tried mandrake, it just seems that alot of people on this forum dont like it.
the remote is my friend

mathewjn

some more advice for newbie
« Reply #7 on: 2 March 2005, 23:15 »
:confused: Message moved to new thread
« Last Edit: 2 March 2005, 23:21 by mathewjn »

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: some more advice for newbie
« Reply #8 on: 2 March 2005, 23:44 »
seems like you shouldn't decide mandrake sucks without trying it, since a lot of people (myself included) think it's quite good for a lot of purposes.
your choice though

tux4me

« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2005, 01:42 »
I just started using suse linux and I really like it> I just switched from windows after using it for 5 years. This was as a result of the fact that I own a OEM version of windows XP and had to reinstall it because service pack 2 hosed it and then i was treated like a criminal on the phone when I had to reactivate it even thogh I am a system builder

MrX

« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2005, 01:54 »
Mandrake okay if you have more 312 of ram, a new speed harddisk, and a cpu bigger than 1Ghz. if your specs are lower than this, stay away.

Mr X

Brandon Paddock

« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2005, 07:35 »
Mandrake is good for modern computers (it was originally one of the first i686-compiled distros, tuned for performance on Pentium II and later processors).  

Gentoo and Ubuntu are good as well.

However, I prefer to use "grown up" OSes like NT and FreeBSD.  You might want to check out the latter.
Cerebro - Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Lappy - Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
DevServer - Windows Server 2003 x64
RobTheRouter - FreeBSD 5.3

Brandon Paddock

« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2005, 07:36 »
Quote from: tux4me
This was as a result of the fact that I own a OEM version of windows XP and had to reinstall it because service pack 2 hosed it and then i was treated like a criminal on the phone when I had to reactivate it even thogh I am a system builder

Riiiiiiiight.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2005, 16:08 »
what the hell does "riiiiight" mean, brendon pillock?

who are you to cynically criticise what is clearly somebody's direct experience with microsoft's customer "service"?

Brandon Paddock

« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2005, 11:54 »
Quote from: Calum
what the hell does "riiiiight" mean

It was an expression of disbelief.  That is, I don't believe a licensed System Builder would not know how to install SP2, or that SP2 could "hose" a system, or that Microsoft's customer support would "treat him like a criminal."  

However, that is, of course, my opinion - based solely on my experiences.

, brendon pillock?

huh?

who are you to cynically criticise what is clearly somebody's direct experience with microsoft's customer "service"?

I didn't criticize anything.  And I'm cynical by nature.  It's a bad habit, sorry Callus.