Author Topic: advice for linux newbie  (Read 6243 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: advice for linux newbie
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2005, 22:16 »
Quote from: Brandon Paddock
It's a bad habit, sorry Callus.

huh?

I don't believe ... that SP2 could "hose" a system, or that Microsoft's customer support would "treat him like a criminal."

oh, riiiight.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2005, 09:13 »
i want to rid my computer of the scourge that is bill gates and microsoft, but im unsure of a good distro for a noob like me.

There are several good "n00b" distros: Mandrake and Xandros are good.

Going a bit out on a limb, I would also recommend Evil Entity. even though this one doesn't include a graphical installer, its text installer is quite good, and requires a minimum of intervention. It installs from a single CD that includes a nice selection of software. I tried it with some good results. I wasn't too crazy about its "goth" look, but I fixed that easily enough: Screen Shot.  :D
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2005, 11:41 »
The only time you can mention FoxBox and not have Rupert Murdoch ream your ass before a court of appeals.  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2005, 21:48 »
:D
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

tux4me

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2005, 09:01 »
I never said I did not know how to install service pack 2 and it has been known to lock up systems while it is being installed and as for being a system builder I have been for 5 years now and what you will find more unbelievable is that I am a women so I probably know more about windows than you do If you were to follow the news you would realize that oems have to be activated over the phone now and they ask you a series of questions to ascertain whether or not you own a legal copy of the oem you are installing thus treating consumer and builder as criminal due to the coas being reused from computer to computer. By the way this message is for the cynical unbelieving experinced gentalmen who posted the right!!!!!! comment above so pardon me if I replyed to the wrong message as I am still learning the ins and outs of this web site I am new

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2005, 11:43 »
Please write with some structure as so we can understand it.

And this board software has a habit of doing that I have noticed.

WAYNE NORMAN

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2005, 00:27 »
Quote from: Brandon Paddock
Mandrake is good for modern computers (it was originally one of the first i686-compiled distros, tuned for performance on Pentium II and later processors).

Gentoo and Ubuntu are good as well.

However, I prefer to use "grown up" OSes like NT and FreeBSD.  You might want to check out the latter.

Well, here goes...
I am new to this stuff, so excuse me if I fluff my lines.  I use Windows, and I have read and experienced enough to want to get out of it and into something better.  I have already kissed "so long" to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer by installing Firefox and Incredimail - both are great stuff.

My questions:
What is the best of the rest (OS) I have read about in this forum?
What are the main differences, compared to what I have now (XP Pro, et al)?

I have a 60G and a 40G hard drive.  The 40G is split into 2 20-gig partitions.  What is the best way to get ahold of the OS you recommend, and how much does it cost?

That's enough for now, as it's past my bedtime.

Thanks,
Wayne
« Last Edit: 11 April 2005, 01:29 by Orethrius »

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2005, 03:48 »
What is the best of the rest (OS) I have read about in this forum?

The right tool for the right job. As you are familiar with different 'windows' operating systems, there are many different 'linux-based' operating systems. We typically do not describe the windows version by the kernel (we call winXP 'XP' and not NT 5.1, ect). This being said, Linux-based operating systems have a lot in common, just as NT-based operating systems (2000pro, XP) have a lot in common.

There are differences, though. This is where the 'right tool for the right job' comes in. What are you going to be doing with your computer? Assuming you want a normal desktop operating system, then do you want a 'techie' linux OS or a Linux OS that is more integrated? Do you want to concentrate on learning more about your computer, or just want everything to work without worrying?

These are individual questions; and I can no answer them for you. My answers lead me to trying RedHat/Fedora Core, Slackware, and Suse. I like Redhat the most, and that is why I use Fedora Core III right now. I tried slackware, and it has its benefits, but wasn't right for me. Suse was wonderful, but there is just something about it... I think it was Yast that i didn't like.

Try Ubuntu and Knoppix Live cds to get a feel for if you want a gnome-based install or a KDE-based install

Novell Desktop Linux 10/Suse 9.3 will be out this month, and Fedora Core 4 will be out to mirrors within a few months.

What are the main differences, compared to what I have now (XP Pro, et al)?

Linux-based operating systems have a different directory heiarchy. There will be no C:\Program Files... don't expect it. There will be no 'C' drive, no 'D' drive, ect. Everything is built from the root directory, or '/'

Your home directory would be /home/username/. Most programs are install in the /usr/ directory. Most system-wide configuration tools are in /etc, while most user-prefference configuration would be in directories in your /home/username/ directory. /dev is a list of all system devices. Extra hard drives and partitions need to be 'mounted' to a spot on the filesystem heiarchy. you could choose '/mnt/win/' for your windows directory, or just make '/c' like i used to.

The software will be different. As you do not run windows software natively on a mac, you do not run windows software natively on linux. You can, however, use ports. Firefox exists on both platforms, for instance. Most software can be easily upgraded, which is of benefit to you since it is not so in windows. Typicically i use apt-get (graphical program is Synaptic) to update and otherwise install software. Fedora Core comes with 'yum' which is similar, with another graphical 'up2date' program. Suse/Novell has Yast.

there are many differences... feel free to ask

edit: missed a question

I have a 60G and a 40G hard drive. The 40G is split into 2 20-gig partitions. What is the best way to get ahold of the OS you recommend, and how much does it cost?

Your hard drives will be hda and hdb (assuming they are standard IDE hard drives)

There will be a number after the hda or hdb. If your 60gb hard drive is hda, and you only have one partition on it, then it will only be hda1. Your 40gb hard drive has two partitions on it, so most likely you will have hdb1 and hdb3.

All of the OS's i recommended above are free (and Free). You can download their ISO images and burn the install cds yourself, or you can buy the media.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2005, 03:53 by Siplus »

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2005, 04:13 »
I have already kissed "so long" to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer by installing Firefox and Incredimail - both are great stuff.

Last I checked, Incredimail IS Outook, to some extent.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2005, 16:07 »
My first Distro was Mandrake - although its ok for newbies, I no longer recommend it.

Instead, I recommend Ubuntu :)
It's a distro that is great for home-users. Newbies/Advanced alike.

www.UbuntuLinux.org
That greatest distro I have ever used.

Based upon Debian, it has the nice apt-get package management, with a nice GUI 'Synaptic'.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2005, 17:01 »
Quote from: Lord C
My first Distro was Mandrake - although its ok for newbies, I no longer recommend it.

Instead, I recommend Ubuntu :)
It's a distro that is great for home-users. Newbies/Advanced alike.

www.UbuntuLinux.org
That greatest distro I have ever used.

Based upon Debian, it has the nice apt-get package management, with a nice GUI 'Synaptic'.

Does Ubuntu include KDE library's and the KDE apps that I love so much?

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 11 April 2005, 22:01 »
Quote from: Refalm
Does Ubuntu include KDE library's and the KDE apps that I love so much?

Ubuntu now has a special KDE version of itself called Kubuntu.  Or, you can take the Gnome Ubuntu and do "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" and have all of that set up right there.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2005, 01:55 »
Hmm. I have a question.
For a person who has been using various Windows versions (ending with 98) and has now switched to Mandrake (though I might switch again (not back, elsewhere)) seeking a fairly easy to use system which will perform all the Windows tasks (WWW, mail, office suite etc. + occasional gaming, image editing, programming, graphics (not too advanced) perhaps), preferably better than the Redmond Virus and possibly more, which distro would be recommendable? I'm not asking just for my self, but I suppose the same thing I might be recommending my friends later. I am perfectly satisfied with Mandrake 9.2 w/ KDE, but who knows, there might be better out there, and I haven't had much experiece with it yet...

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2005, 03:54 »
If you're using 9.2, you can get better by upgrading to 10.1. ;)  (No seriously, i've tried both)

Or Ubuntu.
My BSOD gallery

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2005, 01:59 »
Yes, the version thing seems logical...:)

But then about Ubuntu... Why is it better?