Author Topic: advice for linux newbie  (Read 6246 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: advice for linux newbie
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2005, 04:49 »
1.  Ubuntu Gnome runs circles around KDE.
2.  It's a bit faster overall.
3.  You can use the whole Debian repository, without having out-of-date/unstable base packages.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #31 on: 16 April 2005, 19:15 »
Hmm. Thanks.

And one more thing, if you don't mind. What about Kubuntu?

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 17 April 2005, 02:34 »
I don't like KDE much anymore...3.4 might be ok if they sped it up like all the KDE fans were saying they did.  It's probably just as good as Gnome version, in respects to the system itself.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #33 on: 17 April 2005, 03:02 »
Linux + KDE is slower than  Windows XP.  :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #34 on: 17 April 2005, 12:47 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Is that why my machine got faster after switch to linux + kde :P
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2005, 13:07 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
Is that why my machine got faster after switch to linux + kde :P

You mean the difference is more significant than that between KDE and Fluxbox?  :p

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Jenda

« Reply #36 on: 17 April 2005, 18:32 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Impossible. My computer sped up when switching from W98. And don't try to tell me that 98 is slower than XP. You can't go negative...

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: 17 April 2005, 19:53 »
And don't try to tell me that 98 is slower than XP.

It is, actually, provided that your machine can adequately handle XP.

And KDE is pretty slow indeed...especially versions 2.2 and 3.1.  Things have gotten better since, the biggest jump was 3.1 to 3.2.  But, I've tried 3.3 on a P3/650 with 448MB RAM, and it was still kinda sluggish.
My BSOD gallery

Jenda

« Reply #38 on: 17 April 2005, 21:12 »
Aight, good enough, I'm a Gnome guy now... as soon as get back home to my own computer, that is... Geez I hate XP...

Thanks, ppl.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #39 on: 22 April 2005, 05:06 »
ahem, go buy a book on linux, best advice i can think of. its what i did when i chucked windows completly several years ago. not to mention having a bit of modavation when trying something new.
and for the record, kde is not only faster then gnome, but more intagrated in a good way. it is completely network transparent, wheris the only networking i see in gnome is corba...and thats so it can talk to itself.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #40 on: 22 April 2005, 08:59 »
Quote from: WMD
It is, actually, provided that your machine can adequately handle XP.

XP can be certainly be faster. Tuning the settings for 'best performance' can even make a low memory (128) system run XP faster than 9x.

Quote from: WMD
And KDE is pretty slow indeed...especially versions 2.2 and 3.1. Things have gotten better since, the biggest jump was 3.1 to 3.2. But, I've tried 3.3 on a P3/650 with 448MB RAM, and it was still kinda sluggish.

I'm just compiled KDE 3.4 and I think it's MUCH better than 3.3 - it does seem a little bit snappier. One thing is for sure though, KDE 3.4 takes up way more memory by default than Windows XP. Right now, I am booted to FreeBSD 5.4-Stable with KDE 3.4 on Xorg, with Firefox running and there is 300MB memory in use. Xorg alone uses 150MB of memory. I can't recall exact numbers right now (it's been a few days since I booted to XP, and I don't want to bother right now), but on XP, when I have Firefox open I'll only be using around 140-180MB of memory.
:)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #41 on: 22 April 2005, 09:02 »
Jenda - your little icon says "Chances are your Operating system sucks". I take offense to that!
:)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #42 on: 22 April 2005, 10:05 »
Quote from: toadlife
I'm just compiled KDE 3.4 and I think it's MUCH better than 3.3 - it does seem a little bit snappier. One thing is for sure though, KDE 3.4 takes up way more memory by default than Windows XP. Right now, I am booted to FreeBSD 5.4-Stable with KDE 3.4 on Xorg, with Firefox running and there is 300MB memory in use. Xorg alone uses 150MB of memory. I can't recall exact numbers right now (it's been a few days since I booted to XP, and I don't want to bother right now), but on XP, when I have Firefox open I'll only be using around 140-180MB of memory.

This is very interesting, XP requires 64MB of RAM, yet I haven't seen it run on any less than 128MB but it runs well on 128MB and the speed is acceptable. Knoppix can run a GUI with KDE form a CD on 96MB of RAM without using a swap partition and I very much doubt that XP can do this. I bet if you installed Knoppix on a 128MB machine and used a swap partition it would be much faster than XP on the same hardware. Linux's performance depends a lot on how the kernel is compiled and how it's configured, ie which distribution you use. If you use something like Fedora Core, Mandrake, Linspire etc. Then it will be slower than Windows especially if you use the brain dead default configuration. Vector Linux will run well on than 32MB (it uses XFCE instead of KDE) and it flies on 256MB. I'm at work at the moment when I get home I'll tell you how much memory Vector Linux uses on my PC.

I fucking hate bloatware and I think some Linux distros are begining to become bloated. Most people I know who aren't computer geeks have less than 256MB of RAM and there are still new PCs on sale in the UK with 256MB of RAM, and this is way more than you need for most applications, I was happy with 32MB of ram untill I needed to buy a new PC last year because I fucked the old one up.  If you want to run a GUI I don't think Windows is bloated but it is in the respect that it forces you to waste resources on a GUI even if you don't need it.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Jenda

« Reply #43 on: 22 April 2005, 22:12 »
Quote from: toadlife
Jenda - your little icon says "Chances are your Operating system sucks". I take offense to that!

Sorry. Didn't realize that on the Microsuck.com forum, the chances are in fact quite low :). Generally, it's unfortunately true, though.

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #44 on: 23 April 2005, 02:31 »
Quote from: Jenda
Sorry. Didn't realize that on the Microsuck.com forum, the chances are in fact quite low :). Generally, it's unfortunately true, though.

It detects ip/proxy and browser, shame it doesn't detect OS too - then it could give an appropriate comment. :)
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855