Author Topic: MS-DOS Date  (Read 6867 times)

DanZ

• Kudos: 10
MS-DOS Date
« on: 6 September 2005, 19:05 »
Believe it or not, some software applications still run under MS-DOS. I use one such application that runs on a computer that controls Automatic Test Equipment (ATE). Every Monday without fail, the date is wrong. I haven't kept track of how many days off it is, but as an example, today the computer's date was set to Saturday, September 3, 2005. The actual date is Tuesday, September 6, 2005. Is this a Y2K issue with MS-DOS or maybe a problem with the CMOS or driver for the date? I don't think that the battery is on the blink (if it even has one) because the date is correct during the work week (Monday - Friday). It only gets messed up over the weekends. I searched MicroUknowwho's website, and understandably couldn't find any knowledge base articles for this issue. After all, it isn't reasonable to expect Micro---- to support MS-DOS for such a long period of time. Does anybody know how I might resolve this issue? It's just a nuisance as I can set the date at the beginning of every work week. Maybe it gets stuck every Saturday??

Thanks!

DanZ :rolleyes:

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Re: MS-DOS Date
« Reply #1 on: 6 September 2005, 19:31 »
I hate to break this to you.  But this forum has a retarded policy of not allowing windows help questions.

This is obviously a situation where switching to a different OS is not possible.  Something sure to piss off everbody else here.

As for your question, I have no fucking clue.  It might be that the CMOS battery is no longer able to hold a long charge, and when it gets shut off over the weekend, the battery runs down.  Whereas in the weeknights, it is either left on, or the battery can hold a charge to when the machine is powered up again.

I'd suggest replacing the CMOS battery.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

DanZ

« Reply #2 on: 6 September 2005, 19:53 »
Thanks for your reply. It was more civil than I would have expected after reading some of the threads on this website. You are right - I have no choice but to use MS-DOS. I should have mentioned that the computer is never turned off, which is one reason that I didn't suspect the CMOS battery. The computer is only shut down if we know a thunderstorm is heading this way, or if the power goes out for whatever reason.  I also forgot to mention that Windows 3.1 is installed on the computer, but I hardly ever use it and it definitely isn't running when I run the ATE.  I wonder if the DATE driver got screwed up when Windows was installed?

Thanks for your suggestion. Hopefully the other Microsoft bashers here won't banish you for attempting to answer a legitimate question. I'll take my question elsewhere.

Regards,

DanZ

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 6 September 2005, 20:10 »
Quote from: DanZ
I have no choice but to use MS-DOS.

Yes you do, you could run DR-DOS or even FreeDOS, if you don't use Windows 3.1 then deltree C:\Windows.

What version of MS-DOS are you using?

What specification is your machine? How old is it?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 6 September 2005, 22:22 »
jones is right, skyman is (almost ubiquitiously) wrong. there are several DOS virtual machines or emulators which are better, more stable and because of running within an app on a modern system more secure that MS-DOS, which as you say is not supported.

and skyman is right (for once) when he says this is not a microsoft support forum. if you don't expect microsoft to support MS-DOS then why the hell would you expect people here to?

my advice is to ask on some of those loser boards where windows users hang out, telling each other to format and reinstall XP the whole time. try the windows bbs for example.

good luck and everything, and welcome to the board, but please don't waste your time and others' with microsoft support questions.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

DanZ

« Reply #5 on: 6 September 2005, 23:35 »
Thanks for your reply, Aloone_Jonez.  Here are the answers to your questions.

>Yes you do, you could run DR-DOS or even FreeDOS, if you don't use Windows 3.1 then deltree C:\Windows.

The computer and ATE are being used under a contract with the US military, and it would take an act of Congress - almost literally - to get them to allow us to change the operating system.  The computer also has four National Instruments IEEE-488 interface cards installed, and I don't want to take the time to figure out if the 488 cards or run time s/w that controls the ATE are compatible with another operating system.  The options that you suggested might work, but practically speaking they aren't options.

>What version of MS-DOS are you using?

MS-DOS Version 6.00

>What specification is your machine? How old is it?

The computer has a 486 class microprocessor and was built in 1992 or 1993.  The BIOS is AMI, copyright 1992.

I am starting to think that the BIOS got screwed up or the Windows 3.1 installation caused the problem.  I am going to take you up on your offer to remove Windows (that should make the Microsoft haters happy), but first I want to see if I can upgrade the BIOS.  I sent a request for a BIOS upgrade to an organization that represents American Megatrends Inc., and should hear back from them within two days.

Two of you folks are pretty nice for Microsoft bashers :D, but the Calum can bite me.  I thought that this was a Microsoft help forum when I first posted, and even if it wasn't, there's no reason to act like an idiot jerkoff just because someone asks a question.  Thanks again for the help, Jonez and S kyman.  Mr or Ms Calum, please stay in the UK or as far away from the US as possible.  Thanks.

Best regards,

DanZ

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #6 on: 6 September 2005, 23:46 »
First Subheading under Troll Posts.  Read it.

Now, having said that, I would suspect your CMOS battery before anything else (particularly if it's been running continuously since 1992/3, I've not had one last more than five years (seven at a stretch!)), NOT Windows or DOS like some here might suspect. Not everything is a conspiracy. ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 7 September 2005, 00:27 »
The BIOS might also be so old that it doesn't support the year 2000.

I'm against helping people with MS products too, but I think it's differant with MS abandonware
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: 7 September 2005, 04:55 »
thought that this was a Microsoft help forum when I first posted, and even if it wasn't, there's no reason to act like an idiot jerkoff just because someone asks a question.

No offense, but why would a forum called "Microsuck" be for helping with Microsoft?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 7 September 2005, 15:11 »
No but it isn't as obvious as FuckMicrosoft.com

Jack2000

« Reply #10 on: 7 September 2005, 22:03 »
Is it posible to download and install Dos(alternative) on a pc without
eresing the old info and etc and still running windows but with the dos replaced ??

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 7 September 2005, 22:05 »
Yes, I think FreeDOS will allow you to do this.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #12 on: 9 September 2005, 05:03 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Yes, I think FreeDOS will allow you to do this.

Depends on what you mean by still running windows along with it.  Win 3.x will NOT run on freedos.  It will run on DR-DOS, but it is a little more tricky.

If you mean multiboot windows and FreeDOS then yeah... but I havn't used FreeDOS in over a year and don't know how much they've improved the stability.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2005, 17:46 »
DR-DOS is the shit, and it will support every driver MS-DOS does. Not to mention multitasking, networking, and more.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2005, 18:52 »
Dr-DOS Nice replacement for DOS
DOSBox DOS shell

DOSBox may be the solution. Work in a modern evironment like Linux, Mac OS X or Windows, and still being able to run your DOS programs.